Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Chasing God: Book Review and More

Click the image to purchase book.


First of all, I'd like to tell you how I ended up reading Chasing God by Angie Smith.  I had the privilege of attending the Friday night portion of IF:Gathering in February.  It was an incredible night of teaching and worship.  I left excited to go back on Saturday.  Instead, I ended up in the ER Saturday morning with intense and mysterious stomach pains. In a desire to somehow still be connected to the women at the conference, I picked up the book that had been given away in our fabulous, goody bags.  As I started reading this book, I was challenged and felt like Angie Smith and I might have been separated at birth (seriously if you read the chapter entitled The Binder - you will get a glimpse into the workings of my brain ;) ).  You may think I'm reading too much into this, but I think God purposed me to read this book.  Because if I'm being completely honest, had I not ended up at the ER, the book would've been put on my ever-growing pile of books I want to read.  The pile of books on my nightstand that I know are just going to change my life, but I rarely get around to reading them.

From the start, Angie's honesty and transparency grabbed me.  She shares of a struggle that I identify with so much.  She talks about how she has spent most of her Christian life chasing God thinking this was how it was supposed to be.  I want to share her words from the introduction,
It's the difference between following and chasing.
The key that finally turned the door of my faith was understanding that we are called to one and not the other.
We stare at the rest of the pew, wondering why we aren't as far along as they are, secretly resenting those who unswervingly claim their faith while we enter another Bible study group, hoping something will stick.
If I just do this, I'll catch Him.
I'll catch Him.  Those words haunted me over the next few days.  Is that what I struggle with so often?  Was she somehow in my mind?  I exhaust myself trying to catch God who is already here.  I believe His promises for other people but have trouble claiming them as my own.  

Angie continues throughout the book to share her heart, to let you into her struggle and how her mind works, and give you examples of how she chases God instead of being with Him.  I highly recommend this book, especially if you struggle with striving and feeling like you are never getting anywhere.  Freedom can be found in these pages.  Not because of Angie Smith, but because of the truths of scripture she obediently shares and gives skin to through her own vulnerability.  Her writing is fresh and her sometimes-sarcastic humor only adds to the words she shares.

I'll leave you with this excerpt,
... I had been running after Him for as long as I could remember, and I didn't know how to stop.  I have given days of my life to the notion that I had some power to catch Him.  And I couldn't help but hear His voice in the midst of it, urging me to see the truth.  And in time, I began to understand what He had been whispering for years. 
You chase Me because you trust your own legs more than you trust Me.
You chase Me because you can feel the air in your lungs, not because you want to breathe true life.
And as long as you can chase, you still get a say.  You maintain part-ownership of our relationship.  You would run forever in the wrong direction if it meant your flesh didn't have to admit the truth.
You chase because it feels like you can.

Disclaimer: The links in this post contain referral links.  My review is my own words and I receive nothing for sharing it. While the goal of this blog is not to make money, I'd love the privilege to give away any that it may someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment