Pages

Monday, October 20, 2014

Why Me?

Ever think about why God wants to use you?

I do.  On a regular basis I am astounded that God chose me...that He called me...that He allows me to be His ambassador (2 Cor. 5:20).

The thought of why is bouncing around in my head again this morning as I write in a new journal my youngest son picked out for me this week.

Caleb was out shopping with his mom when he saw it at the bookstore.  It's a "God's Not Dead" journal, and the moment he came through the door with it he had the biggest smile on his face.  This was and act of love.  It involved thought on his part.  He has a journal that he uses and carries to church and he thought I needed one too!

And last night I knew I better start using it!  He moved it around several times so I knew exactly where it was.

Now here's the deal...I've been journaling my thoughts on the computer lately.  It's been quicker...it comes with spell check (which I need).

But as I scribbled down these words this morning...I did so with a pen and my journal.  A journal brought to me by my son who loves me with all his heart.

I don't need to use the journal...but I want to!

Did you know that God chose you and uses you for a reason?

Yes...using broken...simple vessels like us brings Him the  most glory!

But God also uses us because He loves us.  He doesn't need us, but He wants us...because He is our Father and we are His dearly loved children.

And that is the thought that floods every recess of my being this morning as I write in what might be the best journal ever.

It's not the biggest...the pages aren't wide...the lines are narrow...but, it's my son's gift.  It's his act of service to me and that makes it special and important!

Here's the truth...God doesn't need me...and He doesn't need you.

But He loves us dearly and wants to use us...just like I want to use this journal.

Because He loves us, He invites us in to play a part in His great story of redemption.  We get to be used.  We get to do good works which He has prepared us in Jesus to do.  We get to reflect the glory of God so that others take note and turn their eyes to Him and praise His name.  We get to be ambassadors and ministers of reconciliation.

Loving God and serving Him in obedience brings great joy to our Father's heart...and to ours.

In a few minutes...a boy that loves his father with all of his heart will get out of bed to start his day. I'll offer him breakfast and he'll accept. But at some point...as the sleepiness wears off...he will make his way to the couch and the end table where he placed this journal last night.  And when he does, he will find that the once blank journal is blank no more.

And the look on his face will be priceless.  The smile worth a thousand words!

Dad, thank you for using me...even though you don't need to.  It makes me feel indescribable joy in the very depths of my being.  I hope you see the joy it brings me too...and I hope you feel about me the same way I feel about my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment