Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

A Haunting Little Word


There is a three letter word that has been haunting me the last couple of weeks.  And it persistently continues, even now as I type these words.  Oh how I wish the word was joy, or fun, or even sun.  But as luck would have it, it’s much more disturbing than that.  This three letter word is one that involves each of us and one that we think about often, and usually first.  It’s a word that, when not taken in the context that we find it today, is quite familiar and even comfortable.
 
Oh, but when the veil is thrown back and it is viewed in light of responsibility, commission, and command, it changes drastically the meaning of these three letters.  The word you ask… why it’s:

YOU.  

You the reader.  You the hearer.  Which of course means it’s me as well.  You refers to us, the totality of those who are witnesses, those who are followers, those who identify ourselves as Christians. 

In Acts 1:8 Jesus says, “you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all of Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.

The same little word shows up in the “Great Commission” in Matthew 28:18-20.  Jesus says we are to go and make disciples, baptizing them, “and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” 
 
(Are you starting to see how these three letters have been haunting me?)  As we continue to walk through the book of Acts on Sunday mornings… as we continue to gather together in fellowship, anxiously awaiting the return of our Savior…as we continue to cry out “How long?” let us be reminded of this little three letter word.  Actually, let it do more than remind us, after all reminders can be “snoozed”. 
 
I pray instead that this word would haunt us!  When we lie down, when we get up.  Reminding us that this is God’s plan!  To use us.  Each of us individually.  The mighty conglomeration of “you.”  Father, remind us that there is no plan B.  You simply say to each of us, me included… “You go and make disciples.  You go and be my witness.”

Perhaps Peter says it best when writing those in the faith.  He says, “The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness.  He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.”

Did you notice who He is patient with?  That’s right…. you and me.  Meditate on those words in light of Acts 1:8, “He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish.”  

Ouch!  When taken in context, that three letter word is hard to look past.  It speaks of calling, commission, and personal responsibility.  I know it’s a word that is going to affect me… I hope and pray that it affects you as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment